Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Regarding Obama and race relations

I had an interesting converstation with a very dear friend about a week ago that provoked some very serious thought in me. We talked, among a lot of things, about Obama and how his race played in the election. What makes this conversation noteworthy is that I am white and she is black ( african american if you want to be PC lol) What stunned me even more was that she basically agrees with me on several key points. One, that Obama won because the black people for perhaps the first time felt enough passion to actually come out and vote enough to make a difference. Secondly, that as it relates to the first point, he got elected as a result of the passion. Not because he was more qualified as anybody with brain in their head can see he is not, but because black folks saw the chance to get a black person in the white house - period. WE BOTH think its great that racism has diminished enough that this event has happened, just not with the person that fufilled that dream. Thirdly, we both feel pressure from the others race and our own sometimes - especially in her case - for believing as we do about Mr. Hussein. We both agree its not right and its not fair. Neither of us are racists at all , we just despise Obama lol and not because he is black. We despise everything that he stands for and everything has done so far and will most likely do. He is a tax and spend ( ie give to those who constantly have their hands out with gimmie gimmie attitudes) and thinks he can BS his way out of any problem (that should scare the hell of you in the foreign world area) But anyhow I digress, its just eye opening to find another black person that thinks like me on this and to the degree that she does. It was refreshing and just made my day. I did a lot of thinking that day about it. Its been marinating in head eversince. She is a wise woman and now I know why I respect her as much as I do. I hope she knows how much I care about her. For always.

No comments:

Post a Comment